Wednesday, April 06, 2005

Expensive Big Screen TVs - Why bother?

Like a lot of people, I watch TV. And I enjoy watching movies on DVD. But I don't see how I could justify spending over $1000 on a television set, let alone the multiple thousands that the latest whiz-bang, plasma/LCD/rear-projection big-screen sets sell for.

I hate to sound self-righteous, but if I need a new set, I'd rather spend under $1000 on a modest, "old-fashioned" tube set, than fork out upwards of $8000 on the latest and greatest. I could spend the money saved on a brand-new Apple PowerBook, and have more than enough money left over to buy a 60GB iPod. At least I could use the PowerBook to exercise my creativity, and even earn money.

It reminds me of the observation that people spend lots of money that they don't have, on things they don't need, to impress people they don't like.

Labels: ,