Wednesday, January 28, 2009

DVD Anti-Piracy Measures = Anti-Consumer

Why do movie studios insist on forcing legitimate viewers to watch those anti-piracy spots after a DVD is loaded? I personally find it a bit insulting that someone would insinuate that I would want to pirate a movie.

The irony, of course, is that people who actually watch pirated DVDs don't even see these ads! Pirates would obviously exclude them from the copies. Anti-piracy? More like anti-consumer.

To rub more salt into the wound, some DVDs now play previews of other films after the anti-piracy ad. Aargh! More precious time wasted! Please, just let me watch the movie I want to watch.

I know, this is not exactly an original complaint, e.g. "Intrusive anti-piracy". But I just wanted to get it out of my system.

Perhaps they could at least make the ads more interesting. For example, make them funny and/or in the style of the content they precede? For example, here's one from the opening of The IT Crowd. Other suggestions have been put forward.

[The extreme heatwave in Adelaide continues. Today it was 45.7 degrees Celsius (114 degrees Fahrenheit)!]

Labels: ,